Monday 20 February 2012

Cadillac Blues


1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz


On my second birthday, my Nan sent me (all the way from America), a 1:18th scale replica of a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. It was Cream with red interior and rested on miniature Whitewalls. Being 2 years old, within ten minutes of it being unscrewed from its collectors stand; I had smashed that model into everything and anything I could. BUT I never threw it away and to this day, some 19 years later, I still have that crippled Cadillac in my collection of cars, because there was something so majestic and enchanting about the look of that toy, which is why it always remained my favourite.
Cadillac has served for its country, providing support to American Presidents such as Truman, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Reagan, Bush, Nixon… I could go on – Even the current Presidential Limo in service is a 2009 Cadillac.

A brand which encompasses luxury, style, elegance and glamour.


Presley

Monroe

 Capone

Robinson


That's why I was more than pleased to learn of the 2013 line-up which Cadillac has in-store for us.

However, I think this is the problem
  Apart from the Escalade, the past 20, even 30 years hasn’t been great for Caddy. All of the previous individuals I’ve mentioned are long gone or not even relevant anymore –

Just like Cadillac.

The 80’s saw Cadillac churn out small, ugly vehicles such as the Cimarron which shared its platform with the disgusting  Chevrolet Cavalier and the sick joke which is the Oldsmobile Firenza...


1985 Oldsmobile Firenza
Unsurprisingly sales were slow and people were turned off and lured in by the far better build quality and reliability of Japanese and European manufacturers.
 The 90’s offered nothing more than bloated, slow and frankly visually offensive vehicles such as the 1994 Seville and the Catera: A re-badged Vauxhall Omega to you and me. And with a car named suspiciously close, I wouldn't be surprised if inspiration for design  were made from a person suffering with a Cataract.

1999 'Cadillac' Catera

 Oh. Dear.

 
The early 00’s looked unpromising, but then came the second-gen Escalade, the ONLY Cadillac of this decade, in my opinion to truly ooze class and sophistication. The Escalade has been subjected to a number of variations such as the EXT, a pick-up version, the ESV, an extended 8 seat version and a Hybrid was put in to production in 2009.

2013 Cadillac XTS
And, this is why I am SO excited about the new line-up, which I feel Cadillac has brought back the desirability and glamour to its products. The 2013 ATS and XTS unveiled in January both appear solid, handsome and modern. The ATS, especially, could be a serious contender against BMW’s 3 series and the Merc C-Class. It seems as if Cadillac are finally delving back into their ancestry and producing cars which look the part.

The high finish on the inside is smart and sensible. It looks developed and wholesome, not a cheap imitation, trying too hard to be modern and creative, which can be said of the previous cars. I love the blue and red instrument illumination, reminiscent of past Volkswagen design – which makes the interior appear all the more individual. The little details in the XTS such as the stitching on the dashboard and wood inlay on the steering wheel make the car look finished and boasts quality.
 
We will just have to wait until 2013 and hear from across the pond if the XTS and ATS are as good as the promo shots suggest. I, for one am eager to see if Cadillac is able to make a well-deserved comeback.
 So, Cadillac, make sure you don’t disappoint.

Do it for Elvis, Do it for Marilyn, Do it for Al, Do it for Sugar Ray.

Make em’ proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment